Sunday 16 August 2009

Global What?.....

So conspicuous consumption, recycling, re-purposing and re-using is something which I think about quite a lot; I try as much as possible to reduce my wastage, and dispose of things I no longer need in as responsible a manner as possible.


Freecycle is a great means of passing things on that you no longer use: it's a good place to look if there's something you need as well, particularly if you have children. All too often, they grow out of clothes before they wear them out, so being able to pass them on to others means people can get as much use as possible out of them. Not only does it keep things from being thrown in to landfill unnecessarily, but it can also help those who can't always afford to buy everything new. Click on the link and look to see if there's a freecycle group in your area; if not, why not think about starting one?


I also like the idea of re-purposing and recycling, and the internet is a mine of information; one site I visit occasionally for ideas is How Can I Recycle This? which has all sorts of suggestions; some more amusing than others (olive stones? What?) Also Recycle More, which gives loads of info, including recycling sites near you and what they will accept. Instructables is not strictly a re-purposing site, but a lot of the ideas reuse ordinary things, like this headboard:






made by Jessy, out of book covers: click on the photo to go to her website, but check out the rest of Instructables as well.


For my own part, I hate throwing anything away, so have boxes of old clothes/bags/jumpers etc that I intend to unpick and reuse the bits of fabric that no longer have holes in them, the zips, buttons, wool etc. I'm gradually getting round to it.


While I was ill, I spent quite a bit of time watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I've never watched it right from the beginning, so thought now as good a time as any), and madly shredding junk mail and other paper rubbish to make these:




Which I know look as if they are slightly singed already, but, honestly, it's just a trick of the light!



I'll explain all next time.


XX

1 comment:

Throg Niemand said...

Nice bricks, darlin'