Thursday 4 June 2009

Time Management

I can't believe that it's over a week since I last posted; time has such a dreadful habit of passing you by without saying hello and reminding that that it's moving on (rather rude, I think).

Most of my time has been spent productively, though; I'm cutting down a tree in my garden, which is about 15 feet high, so it's proving to be a bit of a project. It's a fir tree that's been there for about 15 yrs, but, although it looked ok from a distance, it's actually dead, dry, brown needles on the inside, so, much as I love trees, it's got to go. Those needles are painful, though, so it's not a fun project!

It has, however, successfully distracted me from creativity, which was one of the reasons for starting this blog, so I thought I would take some pictures of a project which I've been doing for sooooo many years, it sometimes horrifies me that it's still not entirely finished. I've hung it on the wall in my 'study area' (basically the cellar where my desk and computer are), and one day, I'll manage to get it done. (Meanwhile, it covers the flaking paint really well......)



I think for many crafters who enjoy needlecrafts, patchwork is often something they try at least once; I started this when I was about 13, got bored (as you do sometimes), shoved it away to the back of the cupboard, then, over the years, kept getting it out with the intention of finishing it, but gave up again instead.

I deliberately didn't do a specific pattern, so, over the years, it has become a bit of a 'memories' quilt - here is the very first bit that I started all those years ago:

In amongst the fabrics that came from a patchwork parcel my mother bought to start me off, I have now added leftover pieces from the first clothes I made for myself, and my children, and so many other bits. I think this section shows how much of a 'life-time capsule' it has become for me:


The lovely white brocade around the edge is from an old wedding dress that my sister and I used to use for dress up, the green spotted fabric was a beautiful moire taffeta dress that my mother wore when she was about 18, the cream and brown print next to the plain navy, was a dress my mother made for me when I was about 16, and the white with red, blue, yellow and green hearts print right next to it, was a blouse that I made for myself to wear to a wedding when my son was 3 months old (let's just say it was in the 80's, OK?)

I could go on, but I wouldn't want to bore you with a list of 'fabrics that I have known and loved', but it does also make it extra special because of those memories.

Unfortunately, it will also be the only large sewn patchwork project I shall ever do; it wasn't a form that I felt comfortable with, so, although I may try something small one day, I'll approach it in an entirely different way.

I don't count this as patchwork, however, because it was knitted:


I did it as a combined Christmas and 21st birthday present for my friend (and soon to be lodger) Bezah - he is the pair of eyes you can see on the right, the eyes on the left belong to my boyfriend, The Throgtastic One (henceforth known as TTO). Bezah has long coveted one of the blankets I have on my sofa, (one knitted, one crochet) so I thought he deserved one of his own (though I didn't finish it until 4.30 am on the morning of Christmas Eve, when I was giving it to him, because I realised, when I was sewing it together, that I was 1 square short. Next time I'll be waaaay more prepared in advance!)

Until next time (which I promise will be sooner)

XX

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patchworks and blankets - very theraputic.

I once fabricated a jumper for my ex husband with some yarn or other that was the very latest inthingtoknitupwith. My tongue back inside my mouth, I finished said item some two weeks later. When held up it stretched almost to the floor, especially the arms which were v e r y long. In fact when he put it on they ended to well below his knees - to mid calf in fact. And the point of the vee neck came to rest, saucily, just above his navel.

What I'm trying to say, badly, is I haven't got a flair for .... which you obviously have.

The patchwork is such a delightful idea - a novel way of recording past times.