Wednesday 27 May 2009

I Love...

I follow quite a few blogs already, not just friends and family, but ones that may be focused on a subject I'm interested in. I stumbled across today's 'I Love...' a few weeks ago, when I was looking for recipes online, with the intention of going in to the kitchen and cooking up a storm.

Let's just say, I started looking for said recipe at about 5 pm. I may have finally got myself a sandwich at about 2 am (thank goodness no-one else except the cats was around). The site is called 'Cake Wrecks', and I would defy anyone to view it without at least cracking a smile. The chances are, though, that you will more likely be trying to continue breathing, whilst holding your stomach because it's aching so much, and wiping the tears of laughter from your eyes.

The basic idea is to post pictures, with a little back story if there is one, of professional cakes that have gone wrong in a funny way, whether it is incorrect spelling, misunderstood message instructions, badly constructed, or you just can't imagine why they would want a cake that looked like that, etc etc.

Sounds innocent enough, doesn't it? Sadly, it would seem that there are more bakeries and cake decorators who don't know what they're doing than you might realise.

Here's a little taster (with the links so you can read Jen, the blogger's, take on it.)



Naked Mohawk-Baby Carrot Jockeys

Easter Wreck

Most times, the pictures are funny enough, but there is also Jen's hilarious commentary, which is what takes it from a blog about bad cakes, and pushes it in to side-splitting humour. I have started working my way through the older posts, but it's taking longer than I thought it would, because I have to keep stopping to have a rest every now and then. And also try to explain to my boyfriend why I'm laughing so hard at pictures of cakes.

Thankfully, Jen has also now started regularly posting 'Sunday Sweets', which are cakes that are awesome in an amazingly artistic and creative way. I can only worship at the feet of anyone who can design, bake and decorate cakes such as this:

Which was made by Elisa Strauss of Confetti Cakes, for the Lego Batman video game premier.

What can I say? If you link to the Cake Wrecks post, there is a link to a You-Tube video showing the cake being made. Awesome.


Finally, while I was on You-Tube, I started clicking on some of the related videos (as you do), and found this gem, set to music by Verdi.

Enjoy.

XX

1 comment:

Idiosyncratic Ideology said...

Loving this post, and I totally agree when it comes to the Batman Cake. Love love love xox