Sunday 24 May 2009

Who Am I?


Everyone, surely, is the sum of so many parts; people and experiences that have influenced them. Like most people, my mum has been a major figure of influence to me, so I thought I'd start by sharing a few photos that make me smile, help me remember her well, and, reflect slightly on a current theme of mine - hats. The picture above is the one that my avatar has been taken from; yes folks, that's yours truly in the pram, pulling a face as usual (I HATE having my photo taken - obviously from a very early age!) My sister is posing (also as usual, at least at that age. Thankfully, it was a habit she got out of very quickly), and, of course, mum at the back.

This was early 60's, and, of course, mum's wearing a hat, albeit a rather non-descript one, but other photos show this as a trend - I think it's a shame she stopped wearing hats as she got older, because I think she really suited them.


The first 2 photos, she's wearing outfits that she made herself, including the hats, which I think is so cool; the last one became famous in our house. It was THE HAT MUM WORE WHEN SHE MET PRINCESS ANNE (we always thought of it in capitals) The paper mill my dad worked for was officially opened by Princess Anne, and all the workers and their families were invited. Mum borrowed the hat from a neighbour, who was fairly well-to-do, and had a selection of hats, which mum, by this time, didn't.

I wish you could see it in colour, because it was beautiful; the feathers at the front were all autumn colours, with touches of deep blue and green. (I think they may have been pheasant).

Anyway, mum swore THE HAT was the reason that Princess Anne came over to speak to her, rather than any of the other ladies or gents around. The picture made the local newspaper, and was mum's pride and joy for years. Her biggest regret was that she had to give the borrowed hat back.

Now, both mum and dad are dead, and the photo is one of the things I kept when my sister and I cleared out their house. It is one that, even though I'm not a royalist, makes me smile every time I see it.

Thanks mum. XX

No comments: