Friday 10 July 2009

If a Job's Worth Doing...

I always have a bit of a dilemma when it comes to summer; a part of me absolutely loves the sun, but being fair-skinned, I cannot say that my complexion feels the same way. As I have (frequently) been heard to say, I am the only person I know who managed to get sunburnt, in England, in February. I kid you not.


However, I also enjoy gardening, so I've been trying to make the most of the recent not so sunny weather to catch up on some work in the garden. Today, it was a job I had been dreading, which was re-digging the Green Cone site. I love my Green Cone, would recommend it to anyone who has a garden and have been using it faithfully for a few years now; as a result, combined with all the recycling, I now only put out 1 black sack a fortnight. Admittedly, there is only me and the cats in permanent residency, with TTO staying a few times a week, but nonetheless, I'm proud of the achievement.


Unfortunately, though, when I originally dug the hole for the Green Cone, with the help of Weasley, we didn't quite dig deep enough, so the lip of the cone itself was level with the ground instead of under it. And over the years, the level dropped enough for me to recognise I needed to redo it.



Words cannot describe the horror. I must stress again, this is a wonderful device, and it works well, but, if you do ever get one, make sure you site it properly, and dig the hole properly, so it's EMPTY at the time.


At least the flower bed got dug at the same time, and I have now re-sited my rhubarb plant, so it might actually grow this time, and I've planted the peony I bought a while back. If any of my cuttings take, there's a place for them now, as well.


Just so you don't have the Green Cone image in your head for the rest of the day, here's a pic of my lovely Holly, risking life and limb, asleep on the edge of the footcube I made:


A life without cats just ain't worth livin'


XX

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to be higgorant but what is a green cone site please?

the purple dragon said...

The green cone site, is the place I've buried my Green Cone! And the best place to explain the green cone, is the website that sells them, http://www.greencone.com/home.asp?lang=1. It's basically a way of composting food waste in your garden, so you don't have to put it in black sacks, and end up making methane gas in landfill sites. Try clicking on the words "green cone" in the post, and it should take you straight to the website.

XX