Monday 6 July 2009

Time Marching

So one of the other things that has happened in the last couple of weeks, was TTO reaching (nay, stumbling indiscriminately into) his 40th birthday.


Now, I try as much as possible to live by the philosophy that you're as old as you feel, age is but a number, etc, etc, but to many people, it cannot be denied, being 40 feels IMPORTANT. I reached the mythical figure a few years ago, and I have found it a little harder to ignore my age since then, even though, as a general rule, I succeed.


So I was a little daunted at the thought of what TTO might be going through; birthdays for both of us are generally a pleasant but quiet time. He had already firmly declined his parents suggestion of a party, though accepted their invitation to go out to dinner. I marked the days with bated breath.



In the end, the day came and went, with nothing untoward happening, of course. Human beings put so much store on events that really are just random; why should a 40th birthday be any different than the others before it? It makes me remember my 5th birthday; it's the only time I've ever woken up on my birthday, and actually
felt older, as if I'd grown overnight. I can still remember the feeling today, lying in my bed, wiggling my toes, as if they were further away from my head than they had been when I fell asleep the night before.


I decided to make birthday pressies for TTO; not only do I not have an awful lot of money, but I wanted to give something a little more personal. A couple of years ago, he bought a wonderful old smoking jacket in quilted burgundy from a stall in Camden, and I always thought he needed a smoking cap to go with it, so made him this:




For a first attempt at sewing for a few years, I was very pleased with it. It wasn't easy attaching the two crown parts, and I was pleased with the lining as well, except I had to machine hem it, as the iron-on interfacing I bought, wouldn't. But I was happy with it, and TTO loved it, which was the main thing (though he did say he wouldn't be wearing it out of the house, as he valued his life too much. I took this as a reflection on the area we live in, rather than my handiwork.)



I also did a painting, which I feel a little too sensitive about to show you all; I must hasten to add, it doesn't depict anything shocking, it's just that painting is not something I have done much of, and it is a little too much of me to display too openly.


Well, people, time to go for now; 2 cats to feed so we can all settle down for the evening. TTO is at his place tonight, so I have the opportunity to indulge in the TV that he doesn't normally choose to watch. Tonight, I'll be settling down in front of Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth in 'You Were Never Lovelier'. I love old movies, particularly the clothes, and, of course, approve of Rita Hayworth, a fellow redhead.


Aahh, but now I think I have revealed too much again. Bye for Now,


XX

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fab hat - well done you!

Yvonne x